Written sources mentioned Medininkai castle in 1385. It was burned down in 1402. It is thought that the construction of stonework castle was completed prior to the end of 15th century. In 1391, parish church was built in Medininkai. The modern church was built only in 1939, in the style of Zakopane. Franciscans settled near the church in 1961, wherein they still live.